Sunday 9 December 2012

Taking stock....


I'm now getting to the point of needing to check through what I've got so far to see what is left to get. Christmas happens every year of course so it should all be routine and easy and mostly mine is but there is always the nagging doubt that I'm not going to get it all done in time.....of course I will and it's only the 9th of December so no need to panic yet anyway!

There are no decorations up yet as mine are always done by the grandchildren who are not free just yet, so we have that in our diaries for the 14th. We have artificial trees (yes plural, the big one in the lounge goes at the back of the house so I also like my little one in the dining room window so it shows at the front). The tinsel and baubles have been collected all our married life plus added to by children's and grandchildren's home made and gifts from friends, the memories and stories are always repeated as they are unpacked.....my favourite bit :-)  So nothing new to buy there.

A couple of main presents are money by request so I've juggled my accounts to make sure there's sufficient in the one attached to the cheque book. Actually this then highlighted the fact that a matured bond went into an instant access account that doesn't appear to be as instant access as I thought, so a lot more juggling and an email to the bank than should have been necessary.

All my cards have been written and posted, just a few left on the hall shelf that need hand delivering. Nearly all my presents have been bought, just have two special people to buy for and I'm sincerely hoping for inspiration to guide me on what to get them because so far they are big fat question marks on my list!

Of course I can't just wrap now and plonk under the tree because there's no tree yet so I'm hiding stuff upstairs but even that has needed extra thought as the children really love playing hide and seek EVERYWHERE hahaha

Lastly will be the menus and shopping list. Although I have to confess to having bought my turkey already. I would like to order a fresh bird for delivery the day before but I know I'd stress about it not arriving so frozen compromise is worth it to this stress free cook.

Today I'm leisurely sewing festive packaging for the money presents.

Of course the most reassuring thing is knowing that everyone else is planning, shopping and stock taking too. How's your Christmas prep going?
.


8 comments:

Michelle said...

Not too badly. Decorations all went up last weekend. Last parcels wrapped and ready for the post office tomorrow and then focus on gifts for people we will see. Need to get mum some red leather gloves and my stepdad some slippers (both requested items!). Then a bit of a think about Grandad.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Well done Michelle, good game eh?

Michelle said...

Gloves and slippers now ordered on tinternet. Probably Lagavulin for Grandad along with the boiled sweets in a steam train tin from Nat Trust place. He also has a yard of bird seed :-).

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Well done again...is that you sorted now?

Michelle said...

Yeeees. So long as the ordered items actually arrive.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Another quick trip into town yesterday and a light-bulb moment in the Range and think I'm done now too. Can't say too much, might be a leaky blog! :-)
Ho ho ho

Hannah said...

Goodness me - you are organised!!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Oh Hannah I'm sure there will still be things to last minute panic over ;-)